[C320-list] Leaky fuel tank?

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 11:36:18 PDT 2016

Hey Marek!
I feel your confusion.I had a similar problem last season with Pleiades, a '97 #452. The evidence of a leak was traced to the same area that you saw pooling. I pulled the tank over the winter and had it inspected and pressure checked with the sending unit still in it. All was good with the tank. Since the pooling was under the tank, the only other culprits could be the fill and vent lines which are smooth connection fittings or the fuel lines, which are barbed. Since it was winter and I didn't pay attention to how secure the rubber lines were attached when I took them off (it was cold!), I assumed that it was some connection to the tank or faulty hoses. I do remember over filling the tank to where the fuel bubbled out of the vent during a fill, so I may have had fuel in the rubber fill and vent hoses for a time until the fuel level decreased. It may have seeped out then. I inspected the hoses and did not find a smoking gun, replaced some and put it all back together. I'll keep an eye on it now, but I do still wonder what it was. Sometimes you just have to call it a mystery I suppose.  I also noticed that the tank was not sitting flush on the hull in the foot frame, so there may have been some rocking working on the hoses. I corrected that issue with some well placed rubber pads before cinching it back down.
I also added a diesel/air fuel separator while I was crawling around in the locker. Much easier with the tank out. Now the vent should not burp diesel during fills.
Fuel/Air separator

Sorry if this doesn't help. Sometimes you just need to hear from someone who commiserates... :)
Regards,~guy
Pleiades'97 C320  #452Worton Creek, MD