[C320-list] Boat sharing

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 10:25:54 PDT 2016

Jerry

I had a one third share in a C320 for four years before I bought my own

It worked well and the advantage to having three rather than two owners means that there is always a casting vote and you don't get into a deadlock over whether or not some work needs doing or something needs upgrading

Having said that we were very like-minded and most things were easy to agree. We also had a written agreement which set out the conditions how a share would be sold and also perhaps most importantly we had in the agreement that a safety related item would be decided by majority vote where as non-safety items had to be agreed unanimously

It is vital that any written agreement should include details as to how use of the boat is shared out

I still have a copy of the agreement which was written in plain English by the three of us. It was not written up by a lawyer but you are welcome to have a look at that if you want

However we always used to say if you ever have to get the agreement out of the drawer and wave it in front of one of the other partners face, then probably the trust has already broken down.! It's there only as a back up!

I am not yet retired and a third share was more than I could use throughout the summer season. My plan was always to buy my own boat when I retired but we don't see many Catalinas here in Britain and it just happened that the right boat came up at the right place at the right price but the wrong time! Still it was too good opportunity to miss.

Graeme
#366, England

Sent from mobile: please excuse typos etc.!