[C320-list] Installation of Raymarine EV-100

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 13:27:56 PST 2017

Chuck

Not really an answer to your question but I used to have an SPX5 wheel pilot and replaced it with an EV100 with below deck ram as i was fed up with the wheel-pilot disengaging at random times and poor coursekeeping etc.
raymarine marketed the SPX5 as being a “huge improvement” on the previous ST4000. I considered it to be no better at all, in fact a complete waste of money.

The EV100 with below deck ram was however a completely different kettle of fish. Excellent.

Its a bit pricier, mainly due to installation, but you can do a lot yourself (excellent help available from Jeff hare and others). the wiring up is a cinch -  all plug and play.

the other problem i hd with the SPX% was the motor  - whilst looking the same as the ST4000 -  had a much stronger magnet and affected the binnacle compass beyond the ability to be corrected. We had to move it around to the alternative position, lower down on the starboard side and that required the engine pod to be lowered to give clearance for the actuator lever.

Raymarine do a ST to STNG converter module to enable old and new to interchange information. (About $100 as I recall)

Trust me -  go the extra mile on the ram!

One small ‘side benefit’ is you lose the wheel pilot motor and bolt on bits  and it then become quick and easy to remove the wheel short-term whenever you might want to for various reasons.

Graeme
U.K.