[C320-list] Battery Charger

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:02:19 PST 2017

My two parallel 4Ds are now down to 400Ah, fully charged. A charger of 10%, or 40A, of course will not deliver 40A to a bank discharged only, say 30%, or 120A. Such a bank will not accept the full 40Ah for very long, if at all. And, as the charge in the batteries increases, the acceptance rate decreases further. Point is, there are several factors to consider. A lot depends on how you use the boat and how long it's been since the last full charge. Seems to me the 10% is a bare minimum if you want to get underway with a full charge after a full day of sailing.

Nigel Calder has a good explanation for sizing a multistage charger: "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. A good resource. Also, try Google.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay