[C320-list] Antifreeze

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 07:04:02 PST 2017

I hate to carp on about this but the color is a distraction not a guide AFAIK.

From the web:-

"In days gone by, the color of coolant was determined by the type of chemicals used to prevent corrosion — meaning you could tell a lot about the type of coolant used by its color. Older coolants that used Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT) were usually blue or green in color. With these types of coolants, you’d normally have to change them every two years, or every 60,000 miles.

Next came Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolants, whose chemical make-up offered better protection for cooling systems, and extended the life of the coolant. These ‘Extended Life Coolants’ (ELC), were usually orange in color and offered a five-year or 100,000-mile change interval. They could be a blend of IAT and OAT chemicals, and were therefore named ‘Hybrids’.

Newer coolants such as Prestone, based solely on the OAT chemical make-up, now offer a 10-year or 150,000-mile change interval thanks to their superior corrosion protection. Prestone is yellow, but many other coolant manufacturers use different colors.

THESE DAYS, THERE’S NO REAL REASON FOR A COOLANT MANUFACTURER TO USE A CERTAIN COLOR, SO IT’S NOT EASY TO KNOW WHAT CHEMICALS ARE IN THE COOLANT JUST BY SEEING WHETHER IT’S BLUE, GREEN, YELLOW OR ORANGE.”

Graeme