[C320-list] Minor issues with hull bottom

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 13:49:10 PST 2017

The Wonky Dog is currently necked as a jay bird...😀    After long
considering what to do about removing the old paint and a general desire to
know exactly what was going on with the bottom of this boat we decided to
bite the bullet and have her soda blasted by Chesapeake Soda Clean.     The
only sure problem we knew about was a smallish area along the keel fairing
that needed to be faired and filled and a few areas where the epoxy/paint
coating was coming off the wing of the keel.

First the good news.    As expected based on everything written about the
vinylester layup.   We couldn't find any evidence of osmotic blistering on
the hull.   I spent about an hour eyeballing and feeling the entire hull
and then went back for another 1/2 hour and sounded the entire hull was a
hard plastic tipped mallet.   If there's a blister there somewhere I'm not
going to find it at my skill level.

Soda blasting the bottom revealed (or maybe caused??) a few more issues
that we want to ensure we take care of properly prior to painting.    The
first problem area is the aforementioned keel, removing all that paint has
revealed quite a bit of "gatoring" in the hard coating on one side, and
quite a few blemishes on the other as well.   Here are a couple of examples.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040840_zpsvlzdm3dw.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040839_zpskghqlbqu.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040838_zpsw93izclw.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040836_zps7ryahhud.jpg

I know that all of the coatings on the keel are cosmetic, but...wondering
what the best approach is to grinding, filling and fairing the keel are...

The second problem area is "blistering" in the fairing around the prop
strut.   I know they aren't really osmotic blisters, but they still need to
be dealt with.   Again wondering best approaches.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040834_zpsavaxe5gm.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040833_zpssrxn3spf.jpg

Finally, there is minor pitting in the rudder, some minor flaking on the
leading edge of the rudder, and an area near the trailing edge of the
rudder that has been worn through to the fabric.   I'm not 100% convinced
the pitting isn't from the soda blasting.   This one feels real close to
scuff sand, paint and call it a day.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040832_zpsd4gxthze.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040831_zpsfdqsqtye.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/troutwarrior/Boat%20Maintenance/P2040828_zpsttlb3az1.jpg

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be appreciated.

For those wondering, our current plan once we get the repairs completed is
to use Interprotect as a primer only (so one coat) and then add coats of
Micron CSC of various colors.   This seems to be a very popular approach in
our area.

Troy and Kim Dunn
S/V Wonky Dog  (Hull #514)
Havre De Grace, MD