[C320-list] Autopilot

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 11:23:19 PST 2017

Hi Denny,
I replaced my RayMarine ST4000 with the EV100 this year. You can't just buy the Sensor, display and control unit, the package includes the Wheel Drive (at least that's the option I took) which is the exact same wheel drive unit as the ST4000. I actually didn't have to install the new drive and have it as a spare, since I'm sure the old drive could fail at some point.
I considered a below-deck drive upgrade, but I didn't have the time to glass in the mounting points myself and didn't think that the expense of having the yard do it was justifiable for the sailing that my wife and I do. I had 4 years experience with the wheel drive with the ST4000 and it worked well enough, until the ST4000 controller lost it's mind and decided that it was locked out with a random 4-digit code. (Imagine standing at the binnacle for hours, typing in all the possibilities for four digit codes!)
If you are doing a new install, the EV100 works with the new RayMarine SeaTalk NG  bus, which is simple to install. The toughest thing is determining where to put the sensor. It's dramatically affected by metal and wires,  so you have to think about it's location within the boat, especially with respect to transient items. (My Son can tell you about being in the cockpit with the autopilot on when I set my tool bag down on top of the locker that had the sensor in it. We did a 180 in 4 seconds!)
I also make sure that I disengage the autopilot before starting the engine. I've had it engaged twice (the second time accidentally) and the power spike from the starter causes the controller to reset. I'm sure this is not good for it. Better safe than sorry.
Another issue is pulling the display head bus wire into the NAV pod. I already have a bunch of wires from the previous generation of RayMarine electronics at the binnacle. It was tight but I pulled it through (I had to cut the bus connector off and re-attach it in the pod). Now, if I need to replace any other RayMarine instruments, the new ones can plug in on the single SeaTalk NG bus without pulling new wires.
I also bought and installed the adapter that allows the old RayMarine SeaTalk bus instruments to communicate with the SeaTalk NG bus. This allows me to get the wind angle data to the autopilot from the old generation instruments. Again, pretty straight forward to install.
I like the EV100. It works well for sailing by wind angle and auto-tacking. I solo from time to time and I'm not sure I could go out solo without that feature. I'm sure a manual tack in 15 kts would not be pretty. (Not to mention quickly going below to fetch the Captain a libation or use the head.)
I have sailed on other vessels with the below deck drives and they are quiet and smooth. There can be some drag on the wheel when the autopilot is disengaged, but you will get a little of that with the wheel drive also. I don't notice it enough on Pleiades with the wheel drive to complain.
On one boat that I've been on, the below deck drive is mounted in a spot where items in the aft locker can shift against the assembly if not stowed properly. I think I'd build some protection around the drive so that wouldn't happen, if that were the case.
I've been on vessels that didn't have an autopilot. Hand steering for hours and days is not fun in my opinion, especially if you've use to having an autopilot. If I were to purchase a new boat that didn't have an autopilot, it would most likely be my first upgrade.
Best regards,~g
Guy & Liz Smithsv Peiades C320 #452Worton Creek, MD
"It is remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind  can sweep away the maddening frustrations of shore living."                                    - Ernest K. Gann