[C320-list] Pedestal gauge panel "refinish"

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:29:41 PST 2017

Graeme

Number 6 is starting to look really attractive LOL.   If I buy a new one
I'm thinking of clear coating it with an automotive clear coat.

Number 5 was my approach for round 1.  This approach went...err...wonky.
Problem is the vagaries of getting a paint that is compatible with the
plastic and gives the finish you want and dries in a reasonable amount of
time that will actually allow you to clean up overpaints.   I had no
success here.   Cleanup of the mess I made involved lots of sanding.
Lessons learned:  Getting paint out of the lettering is difficult.   Using
strippers on plastic is a bad idea.   There is a limit to the number of
attempts before the lettering fills with paint and game over.

All the wax resist ideas are really good.   My concern with that approach
is you need to be really really sure all the wax is off the surfaces you
want to overpaint.     At this point I have the panel sanded and repainted
flat white.   I'm leaning toward labeling the two lights with a label maker
and making a sticker for the hydro lock warning and calling it good enough.
  As Scott points out anything is better than what it looked like before.

Pretty cool what you are doing with the engine pod.   Don't all these
projects tend to blow up a bit?   I refinished the companionway steps, the
salon table , and I'm in mid stride on replacing all the malimine doors and
drawer fronts with solid wood.   Every one of these seemingly simple
projects had some 'moments'.   I did find a relatively new product called
 Puppy Treads for the companionway steps.   They are an improved version of
those 3M safety strips.   Seem to have the same texture as those tacky yoga
matts.   I hope they work out over the long haul.

I also intend to move the blower to the other side of the ignition switch.
We really like to run it for a bit to clear some heat off the engine, we
sleep in the aft birth unless it's super hot...then the salon...which is
what prompted the table refurb.   We've haven't yet used the v-berth which
is ironic because we really wanted a 310 because of the v-berth layout.

Scott

Replacing the blower switch (or pretty much anything on the panel) is a
breeze.   I got my new buzzer from Allied and the hi vis euro rocker switch
from digikey or mouser (can't remember). Way cheaper than the marine supply
places.   Rewiring the blower to the hot side of the switch is a good idea
in my opinion, but as Graeme points out you could end up draining your
battery if you are on the hook and forget to shutoff the blower.

Troy