[C320-list] Throttle issue

Onat Dogruer onat_s at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 06:21:35 PDT 2017

Hello all,

A bit of an update on our Yanmar in case anyone else experiences in the future -

We did a short haul and found out that the shaft and the prop was completely covered with barnacles. Coming from New England waters, I had not seen that much growth before.
However, to my surprise, the 2 layers of Pettit Hydrocoat Eco on the hull were still holding after 2 years, a bit of slime and just a few barnacles on the hull (we had been doing regular maintenance of scrubbing or power wash, wherever we can every 5-6 months). Clearly shaft and prop is an easy target for them. Will go back to using Pettit Prop spray heavily.
This is our first season in Chesapeake and we hear that because of the mild winter the water has been very warm which is causing excessive growth this year. I will try to post before and after photos.

I am able to push RPM up to max in Neutral with no problem. No smoke. Not seeing an issue with the exhaust elbow (I also did the replacement 2 years ago). We have a set up of 2micron primary filter, 10micron secondary (on engine) filter. Just replaced both fuel filters and air intake filter. So far she is running clean and this weekend will go out to push the throttle further and hopefully it was just the prop barnacle issue...
Thank you all for quick advice.
-Onat#546, 1998
West River, MD