[C320-list] Rocna/Vulcan anchors question

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 12:34:16 PST 2017

 Hey Daryl,
We have the 33 lb Rocna on Pleiades. She came with the standard Danforth anchor, which is the spare now hanging in the anchor locker. We had some harrowing situations on anchor in the Chesapeake bay mud with the Danforth sliding through the mud during set and swinging reset.
The Rocna was recommended by Practical Sailor at the time I purchased it and we have been happy with it in some nasty conditions, one of which was a direct hit by a tornado with over 60 kts! On another occasion, we were anchored in shallow Swan Creek with a soft mud bottom when a storm front came through with 35+ kts pushing us and bay water up the creek and then passing, only to have several kts of current wash back out of the creek the opposite direction for a time. The Rocna held fine!
I mentioned the second case because there is some youtube videos that show that the Rocna initially sets well but can break loose when conditions (Wind, Tide) reverse the direction of pull and the anchor has to reset. I have not experienced this, as I pointed out above, but the videos seem to indicate there could be a problem with the ring getting jammed with debris after initial set.Rocna Anchor Setting (33 lb). Video # 63 of an ongoing anchoring series.

|  |  |

|  |
Rocna Anchor Setting (33 lb). Video # 63 of an ongoing anchoring series.

Demonstration of a 33 pound Rocna Anchor being set, re-set (multiple attempts) and retrieved using various scope...

However, Paul from Distant Shores tested the Rocna and found it to be fine in sandy conditions.Rocna Anchor testing and setting underwater

|  |  |

|  |
Rocna Anchor testing and setting underwater

Every wonder what an anchor looks like underwater when its setting? Here is a segment on setting the anchor in s...

I am not worried in the Chesapeake, but areas where there is a lot of sea grass may be more likely to have problems.When I head to bed on anchor, I feel confident that the Rocna will hold so I can get some good sleep! :)
~g