[C320-list] 1994 Perkins Perama M30 Engine Problem

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 18:39:52 PDT 2017

Heading in today off of Lake Michigan, we first experienced bad screeching and then realized the engine was overheating.  I shut it off immediately and found a hot engine, rubber smell, some fan belt dust near the front of the engine, and some minor (maybe a cup) leaked antifreeze in the pan below the engine. The oil levels and coolant levels were fine (coolant maybe slightly low)
I had a spare fresh water intake system impeller on board, so while I was waiting for a tow, I anchored and opened the impeller housing.  All the fins were still present, so I don't think this is the problem.
I suspect my coolant (for the antifreeze) water pump is bad, but won't be able to check it until tomorrow at the earliest.  I remember, when installing a new fan belt just after buying the boat, turning the water pump pulley manually and thinking it felt stiff.  I wonder if the pump basically locked up, causing the engine to overheat and making the fan belt slip on the pulley (which caused the belt dust/rubber smell).
Any similar experience?
I think I've read in the C320 posts suggestions about where to buy a new water pump or to have one rebuilt reasonably.  Can anyone provide that again?
Thanks in advance all,
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (hull#32)
Holland, MI