[C320-list] Autopilot install

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:37:46 PDT 2018

I am midway through the process of installing an EV-100 wheel autopilot,
very similar to the excellent recent Mainsheet article by John Ellis
(although I am adding a rudder position transducer as well).  Like others,
I studied everything I could on this amazing list as well as poring through
Raymarine manuals.

While I see the advantages of the linear drive, in my case I chose the
wheel pilot since I did not want to add the +/-35 deg rudder stops required
for the linear drive.  My measured rudder swing is +/-55 deg and I use it
all as I return dead slow to my dock near the end of a narrow canal.  While
you would prob never approach this swing in normal sailing (as noted by
others on this board), it sure makes my life easier at the end of a long
day.

This will be the first autopilot on this boat since it was previously on a
lake in IL where a/p was certainly not needed, so I am quite excited by
this new capability.

Just my $.02.

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206