[C320-list] Subject change: Battery change. Almost there but....

John Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 19 10:35:07 PST 2018

Scott:

You will like the Renogy panels. I just bought a 160-watt semi-flexible Renogy panel that sits flat and comfortably on the rear of my bimini.

Admittedly, I live in Florida, where we get 350-60 days of sunshine a year, but I have been impressed by the number of amps this panel produces with a Victron 75/15 MPPT controller.

I’ve been running my new refrigerator continuously for a month to make sure it doesn’t have any problems. The panel more than keeps up with it and various demands like playing the stereo, etc., at the dock.

I have three group 24s for house and one for start (the yacht broker bought them while the boat was for sale …). The solar panel strictly charges the house bank. The start battery gets topped up when I motor out to the Gulf of Mexico a couple of times a week.

I’ve put off any upgrades on the alternator and the 110-volt charger because, frankly, I don’t think I’ll need the extra amps.

I didn’t mount the panel permanently because we get some nasty windstorms, (hurricanes, winter cold fronts, thunderstorms, etc.) and I want to be able to remove it quickly.

I cut four mounting holes in the edge of the panel. With two of them, I tie the panel to the backstays. The rear edge of the panel is slightly over the bimini, so I use strong cord through the other two holes to tie the panel to the stern pulpit.

The panel’s cord runs down a backstay. I installed a trolling motor plug at the aft end of the port locker. It connects to the Victron right next to the 110-volt charger. I used busses so connect both units to the cables running to the batteries.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay