[C320-list] Batteries

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Jul 11 07:43:42 PDT 2018

It's a myth that AGMs cannot release hydrogen gas. They do vent under
some circumstances. (They would be subject to explosion due to high gas
pressure otherwise.) For this reason the ventilation issue is not solved
by using AGMs. However since hydrogen is lighter than air, all you need
is a small vent near the top of the battery compartment. A small
louvered grill high on the side of the settee would do. See for example
https://www.boats.com/how-to/sealed-batteries-still-need-venting/. That
said, I've felt no need to add venting. I find it implausible that there
would be enough hydrogen accumulation inside the battery compartment to
cause a safety issue. Hydrogen is a very small molecule that is very
buoyant and can find its way through small openings with ease. I'm
confident that the settee is not sufficiently well sealed to prevent the
hydrogen from escaping. If there is evidence to the contrary, I am
interested, but I've never heard of a hydrogen explosion on one of these
boats.

I'm still using flooded lead acid batteries. Apart from the need to top
off with distilled water periodically I have found them to be trouble
free and have felt no need to switch to more expensive batteries. I did
add a separate starting battery, an upgraded battery switch (one that
turns on the motor starter/alternator circuit and the house bank circuit
at the same time while keeping them isolated from each other when not
charging), a smart battery combiner (so that the house bank will charge
once the starting battery is "full"), and a Victron battery monitor that
shows charging or discharging current (or watts) in real time, and
tracks amp-hours in and out. Also a Victron MPPT 15 solar charging
regulator for my small solar panel. I've been impressed with the Victron
hardware.

My boat lives mostly on a mooring and so the shore power charger is a
non-issue for me most of the time. The small solar panel keeps things
topped off nicely when I'm off the boat, and helps when we are cruising
and on the hook. I've purchased a separate monitor for the solar panel
but never gotten around to installing it.

Scott Thompson