[C320-list] Remove hot water heater to replace hoses?

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Nov 5 03:52:04 PST 2018

Jim, I simple by-passed the hot water tank engine hot water tank  hoses by installing an inexpensive U shaped loop hose on my Westerbeke heat exchanger where the in/out hot water hoses are attached.

I replaced all of the rubber hoses including exhaust, fuel and engine cooling hoses on my 95’ hull about two years ago and decided to forego replacing the hot water hoses until the original hot water tank needed to be replaced. Since we rarely need to rely on hot water from the engine cooling system because we are either at a dock with electricity or use a portable generator while at anchor for conveniences including rapidly heated  hot water, we do not miss not having engine heated hot water.

I also was concerned with the number and depth level of deep cracks observed on those hot water heater tank hoses and preferred not to deal with the antifreeze mess under the liner in the event of the engine coolant finally leaking from those cracked hoses, especially where the cracked hoses are attached to the tank. The key to water heater tank longevity is an adequately winterized hot water tank using inexpensive water system antifreeze up here on Lake Erie to ensure that any water left in the lower portion of the tank is winterized, even after pulling out water from all of the tanks with a shop vac. . Since we are the original owners we were well advised by the dealer who is an avid cruising sailor to not leave the water heater element left on while away from the boat or after the hot water tank temperature was hot enough for our needs in order to prevent the element from burning out prematurely. After 24 seasons and being on the boat for about 60 days each of those seasons, the original hot water tank continues to deliver like new without leaks. BTW, that dealer also gave us the same advice about the use of the original battery charger and it also has been reliable and operating trouble free since we do not keep it on while away from the boat and cycle the charger on an off while at a dock.

Rick