[C320-list] Ignition key replacement with a simple switch.

Pat Tormey ptormey at 4square.net
Mon Oct 22 12:24:11 PDT 2018

I don’t really believe the key stops anyone from stealing a sailboat so I always leave the key in the ignition. BUT that means water can get in.

A quick solution is to replace the key assembly with a water resistant switch. I used a West Marine 15 amp switch (single pole single throw) and waterproof cap combo for about $20, cuz I have too much money. BUT you can buy a ‘Calterm 41800 sealed Toggle ‘ 20 amp switch from Ace hardware for about $6.

Note: The third position (blue wire) is for the preheater according to Jeff Hare, so I left it off. IF you have a preheater it would be best to put it on it’s own switch anyway. I use an oversized stainless steel washer to ‘adjust’ the keyhole to the smaller switch.

Now my ignition doesn’t leak and I don’t need to worry about the key

Pat Tormey
Blue Skies