[C320-list] Sail size for racing

Amirault Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 9 14:50:02 PDT 2019

Sara:

I have been racing my 320 for over a decade. I have been faced with this
question. Note that I have very few race awards for all of my years of
trying. Consider what I write accordingly.

Bear came with a slab-cut 150. I cruise and race. Five years ago, when the
funds came available I added a head sail that would fit both bills; a tri
radial cut 135% Dacron. The material selected was a high quality Dacron
which would last for years; a cruising consideration. The expense of the
labour for the cut was so that I could hope for better performance from
superior shape for more years; a racing consideration. The size was selected
so that my spouse could more easily handle the sail; a cruising
consideration - AND - so during periods of higher wind better pointing
performance would be available than from a furled 150; a racing
consideration.

The material has lasted well and thanks to the cut, the shape remains
outstanding. The spouse is happier when on the water and happy wife, happy
life. I handicap race without the spouse, and the handicapped is according
to the biggest sail you intend to fly. The race crew was so pleased with the
pointing ability of the radial cut, that after the initial season we only
race with the 135% and are handicapped for it.

Two caveats. One, my 135% has a modified Yankee Cut - there is a rise from
the tack to clew rather than the foot of the sail running parallel to the
deck. There is a slight performance penalty to pay for this, but it yields a
better view forward from the helm for improved safety.  I fought with the
sailmaker over this, and the rise is a compromise between the high cut I
wanted and the no cut he was in favour of. Two, to do it again, I would not
pick 135% as the size. By a quirk of design, in big wind when beating close
hauled to the mark, I cannot quite sheet in the jib optimally. If sheeted in
for peak performance, the material contacts the upper spreader; so there is
a need to slightly ease. I don't expect to be replacing this sail for years,
but if I do I will consult with the supplier and likely go with a 130%

I would urge racers with fuller trophy cases to weigh in here. My opinion
can't be trusted.

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too