[C320-list] Winch Rebuild

John morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 18 11:38:24 PST 2019

If the springs and pawls are in good shape and they rotate back and forth like they need to do, there is no performance enhancement. What the pawls do is enable the winch drum to rotate in one direction only so that you do not wind up with an overwrap, which can be very difficult to undo. The other way in which an overwrap can occur, on our winches, is for the stripper ring to break, which I talked about below. The other big no no, is to put grease on the springs and pawls, what is required is a very light machine oil which will allow the pawls to rotate easily.
JEM
1999#574
> On Feb 18, 2019, at 1:35 PM, jackbrennan <jackbrennan at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering whether there is a performance difference in replacing springs and pawls that aren't broken. Or is it more preventive maintenance?
> I passed on the kits after disassembling the winches and seeing that all appeared to be in good shape.
> The machine oil made a ton of difference.
> Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528Tierra Verde, Fl.Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>  On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:01 AM, John morrison<sail-ability at sympatico.ca> wrote:   I guess good preventive maintenance….All for the want of a horseshoe nail!!
> The only thing that ever broke on my winches was the stripper ring on the 44 Self Tailing winches. this is a real bummer if you’re single handing! I carry a spare one now.
> JEM
>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 11:49 AM, Christian <ccaper at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Everything I've read said to service every year and to replace springs
>> every service and inspect pawls, including the Crowley's winch rebuild
>> class I took at Chicago sail show a few years ago.  When I finally got the
>> time to service my winches after a year of owning, and not know previous
>> owner's service history, I found 2 pawls with broken springs, and two
>> others very rusted, on a Lake Michigan only operated boat.
>>
>> For the price of the spring, I just plan on replacing them every service.
>> -Christian
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:39 AM John morrison <sail-ability at sympatico.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Why are you replacing the pawl springs? I’ve never had one fail and the
>>> boat is a 1999 which I’ve owned since 2010. I service the winches every 3
>>> years since I sail on Lake Ontario in fresh water so no corrosion issues
>>> here. I clean the pawls and springs and add a drop of 3in1 oil, no grease
>>> here as those pawls need to be fast acting.
>>> Cheers
>>> JEM