[C320-list] Forward fresh water tank

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 07:44:49 PDT 2019

Yesterday I discovered about 3 gallons of water in my front shallow bilge areas that looked like it was leaking from my forward water tank. I pumped/vacuumed out the tank and the seeping stopped completely.  After some head scratching, I figured out that the bottom threaded fitting with the shut-off valve was loose on the tank. So, I will be removing the fitting, reapplying new Teflon tape, and reinstalling the fitting/valve in the hope that the leak will be fixed.  The leak from the fitting itself was not obvious because the actual seepage seems to have occured just behind the plywood panel in front of the tank.  The water then looks like it is from the tank, since it seeps out below the tank.
Dave Hupe1994 Cat320 (#32) "Mayan Sun"Holland, MI

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 4:53 PM, Dave Hupe<hoopdtwo at yahoo.com> wrote:    I had a forward leak recently that I had a lot of trouble pinpointing.  It turned out to be a leak from the port side front leg of the bow pulpit.  I was able to squeeze my head in under/around the anchor locker pan after removing the front v-berth teak panel.  I was able to see water dripping down the wires that come from the bow running lights and extend down that bow pulpit leg. Allow I was able to loosen the 2 screws on the pulpit leg (they screw into a plate embedded in the deck), and lift the leg just enough to clean underneath, squeeze in 4000 UV fast cure sealant, and then tighten the leg back down and clean up the squeezed out excess sealant. All good now.  However, I echo Chris' guidance about sealing your water tank top port with Teflon tape and not filling too high.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat320 (#32) "Mayan Sun"
Holland, MI