[C320-list] Halyards: clean or replace

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 28 10:26:15 PDT 2019

Hi Scott:

If the lines are original or close to it, it’s not worth it to clean. Twenty-year-old halyards have lost a lot of their strength, and you don’t want one to break, especially when they are routed inside the mast, where they are really difficult to replace.

You can buy Sta-Set for 50 to 70 cents a foot at defender.com, one of the cheaper improvements you can do to your 320.  Or you can upgrade to more expensive line, although I don’t think that’s worth it for cruising.

Replacing halyards is simple. Sew the two ends together with strong thread – I use waxed sail-repair thread – then put one layer of tape over where the threads are. Pull it slowly through the sheaves; you’ll get a small bit of resistance from the tape being there.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay