[C320-list] Which Racor Filter?

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 5 06:36:30 PDT 2019

Dave-
I currently us the R24T (10 micron) and a 10 micron on the engine (NAPA 3368).  The R24P is 30 micron and the R24S is 2 micron.
I think the Perkins OEM fuel filters are 2 micron, but I'm checking that.  I actually ordered some of them but haven't installed one yet.
It only makes sense to me to have a fine "finish" filter on the engine and a more coarse filter in the Racor (not a 2 micron).
Dave- Hupe1994 Cat 320 (#32)Holland, MI
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:05 PM, David Veeneman<davidv at veeneman.com> wrote:   I am currently using a Racor R24S filter on my C320, which has the Perkins diesel. The R24S filters to 2 microns. On the Catalina Direct site today, I came across their listing for a Raycor R15T, which filters to 10 microns. Catalina Direct's description for the R15T includes this language:

"Be careful which filter you use. There are several replacement elements available that look identical. For example, there is what appears to be the same filter that only filters down to 30 microns. It leaves particles in the fuel that are too big and may clog the engine's filter. Another version filters to only 2 microns. This is filtering particles from the fuel that are so small it may clog almost immediately, leaving you without power soon after replacement.”

The 2-micron language sounds like a reference to the R24S. What do you think? Is the R15T a better option than the R24S? Thanks.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA