[C320-list] Fresh Water Engine Flush

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 08:24:55 PDT 2019

Bob,
I have done this for winterizing my boat to flush out water and get
anti-freeze in the system.  I installed the t-fitting last fall.

Here is the t-fitting I ordered, available at Walmart for $1.67.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LASCO-Fem-Tee-Insert-x-FNPT-3-4-In-PVC-1402007/406982633

Take this t-fitting to Home Depot, and in the pvc section get the male end
cap, matched to the threads in t-fitting.  You will want this end cap in
the t-fitting during normal boat use, and use some teflon tape on this
threads as well.  Then, go to the plumbing section and get a male PVC to
male garden hose adapter that will convert the threads to a garden hose
thread.  This allows you to connect a garden hose to your raw water line.
Mine was a metal adapter.  Also get hose clamps for 3/4" hose, you'll need
at least 2. I recommend 4, 2 on each side of the t-fitting, each one
flipped 180 for redundancy.

All parts will be less than $15 total.  You'll also need auto hose cutters,
and a likely a wire cutter at that hose has re-enforced wire you'll need to
cut where hose cutter couldn't cut through.

When you want to use the t-fitting, connect the garden hose to the
t-fitting, pass the hose through a port light opening, have a bucket in the
cockpit, put other end of hose in bucket, and CLOSE through hull for raw
water intake.  Start engine, and just mind you don't run out of water in
the bucket and that hose is at bottom of bucket and hasn't floated to the
top, only sucking in air.  Nice thing about this is you can also easily
start engine on land when needed.

I've included a link to two pictures I took when I did this.  Don't make
the same location mistake I made, and put the t-fitting right under the
Racor filter, as now I have a difficult time draining my racor (I plan to
adjust that this fall during haul out).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BorFrCCDV3B/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Hope this helps.

Christian Caperton