[C320-list] Speed seal impeller cover

Mike Mellon mmellon at cruzio.com
Sat Aug 29 11:42:03 PDT 2020

I don't know how many users of the UK-based Speed Seal there are in the
320 group, but this business closure resulted in a problem for a fair
number of users, I expect.  I was also very disappointed in the
abruptness of the closure without any future support being offered.

The Speed Seal does offer a much easier way to change impellers if
necessary, and probably longer impeller lifetime.

I have used one of these covers on the #33636 Johnson raw water pump on
the Westerbeke 30B-3 engine in LaVida for several years.  However, on
ours, the cover is sealed with an neoprene O-ring not a paper seal.  I
expect the O-ring itself is a standard (maybe metric) size, but I have
not determined this yet.

The bigger problem is the Teflon disk and the bronze spacer that is part
of this unit.  Those are more difficult to replicate although I may try.

If anyone has any other ideas on this, please share.

Mike Mellon

LaVida 1996 C320 Hull #324

--
Michael Mellon