[C320-list] How far offshore?

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 31 12:44:29 PDT 2020

Hi Graeme:

I believe it more comes down to the skills of the sailor than the boat itself, as long as it is in proper condition.

Webb Chiles sailed a Drascombe Lugger (an open British boat) around the world about three or four decades ago. Now, in his 70s, he sailed a Moore 24 (a small, West Coast racer that weighs about one ton) all over the place and maybe around the world by now.

I used to know John Kretschmer when he was a lowly delivery captain and our young daughters were best pals. He used to sail leaky, rickety boats all over everywhere when the price was right. But he obviously knew what he was doing, even when the boat was sinking on occasion!

So the thing is to work on your skills and get yourself into some mildly cranky conditions on occasion. That allows you to see what works on the 320 and whether you’re up for those conditions. And get good at judging weather  in your planned sailing area. Picking your weather window is a big part of the battle.

One old-time British sailor whose name I forget wrote he sailed his first time around the world without ever experiencing winds of more than 35 knots. He was very good at weather windows. He later purposely went out in a storm just to say he had been in a gale once!

As long as you’re not near land and you’re not in a hurricane, the boat will be OK if you get caught out. They can take a lot more than we can, usually. Remember that most of the abandoned boats at Fastnet were later found floating, some with no water in the bilge.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay