[C320-list] Severe vibration at 1000 RPMs after engine mount replacement

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Fri Dec 11 12:37:37 PST 2020

Hi Paul,

If the vibration is the same regardless of the transmission setting then the problem is not with the shaft alignment.

We have the Yanmar in Somerset so it could be different than your situation but our engine was extremely rough at idle and could take more than ten seconds of cranking before it would cough to life.

I actually followed the manual for maintenance; adjusted the valve clearance (was quite surprised how much I adjusted them), sent the injectors out to be rebuilt, replaced ALL of the crushed washers in the fuel system, chased all of the rust and repainted, flushed the coolant system and cleaned out the heat exchanger, replaced all of the hoses, and cleaned and lubricated all of the cables.  Unlike a typical Bruce project it all actually worked.   I was amazed at how smooth the engine ran at idle (about 550-600 RPM) and how quickly the engine started.    I hate to admit it but there are some months that go by and I don't get to take the boat out.  During those times it was especially hard to start the engine and I sometimes had to bleed the fuel system.  Not now.  Can go several months and the engine still jumps to life.

I'm glad I chased all of the rust and repainted but my guess is the crushed washers, injectors and the valves were what made the difference.

Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro CA, #671