[C320-list] 500 FG Turbine Fuel Filter Advice

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Sat May 16 19:55:53 PDT 2020

To all,

Has anybody upgraded their Racor 220 to the 500 FG Turbine Fuel Filter that Parts4engines.com sells? If so, any thoughts?

I think I have isolated my fuel problem to the Racor. I spoke to a marine diesel repair shop and they told me to try a few more things before I have them come out, because I am close to getting the problem solved and in his words, "we are expensive if we drive up to your boat". Using the collective wisdom of the group and Peter Compton's book, I bled the system again. I confirmed the injector pump was spitting fuel at each injector by removing the lines. It still would not start. The lift pump had goo compression an the fuel shut-off plunger was in the fully open position (as far as I could tell from the top side of the motor). They told me then to disconnect my fuel line from the Racor and insert it in a clean jug of diesel. I did that and bled the engine block fuel filter again, until I had green diesel (so I would know it was fresh) coming through the filter. It took about 30 seconds of cranking (thru-hull closed) but it started and ran. I ran all of the diesel out of the jug (thru-hull open). As an aside, some black algae looking stuff did drip out of the disconnected fuel line. So, I thought my problem might have been a clogged fuel line causing a vapor lock or remaining bad fuel in the lines.Then, after sailing with a buddy, I reattached the fuel line to the Racor and now it won't start.

My system actually has two Racor filters with a selector. If one clogs, I can switch to the other. I think something in this two-filter system is introducing air into the system. I started looking at replacement bowls and parts, etc., and they are expensive for the Racor 220. Then I looked at Parts4engines.com and they sell the 500FG replacement for $75. Moreover, the filter elements are only $8 each. Given that a 24T or 24S filter cartridge is usually about $30, it will only take about 4 filter changes before I am money ahead with the new system.

I am asking because my plan would be to get rid of the two-filter system. The 500 FG has a spin-on top with a drop-in filter element, which would be much easier to change under way if it clogs. However, my current two-filter system has a selector to choose the filter, but then it has a return hose that presumably takes excess fuel back to the tank. If I go with just one in-line filter, would I just plug the return line at the tank and eliminate it from the boat?

Any thoughts from anyone who has installed this fuel filter would be greatly appreciated. I am also worried about height, though the website says it is 20 centimeters. I measured the area under the aft berth as about 11 inches, so there should be no issues there.

Thanks,
Jeff
'94, #121