[C320-list] Wifi

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 11 18:28:30 PST 2021

Hi Ken:

Don’t know where you are, so there are complications such as hills/mountains and lake sailing that can change the answer. But generally, if you are coastal sailing, you can always get an OK to very good cell phone connection.

In western Florida, where I sail, cell phone reception is good everywhere until you sail south of Marco Island because the only land near you at that point is the Everglades. Then you’re off the grid until you cross Florida Bay and close in on the Keys.

I’ve read that boosters and antennas mounted high can win you as much as 50 miles of coverage from a tower, but I have no experience with that.

I recently installed a 12-volt TV and am fiddling with a similar reception problem. We live on the coast, and many of the HD towers are inland, meaning we get a strange hodge-podge of channels and not some of the ones we would like. (Three shopping channels, three Christian networks and one major network!)

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10