[C320-list] Fuel sender puzzler...

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 09:09:17 PDT 2022

Hi David,

I replaced my fuel tank and sender a couple of years ago. The new sender uses reed switches instead of a swing arm to provide the resistance measurement. I thought this would be more robust but I just recently found the fuel gauge reading zero all the time. After running through the fuel gauge diagnostics I’ve pretty much concluded the sender is bad which seemed surprising after such a short time. I still have the old mechanical sender so will probably swap it in to see if that fixes it. But as others suggest, running the fuel gauge diagnostics is the way to go.

As far as calibration, to my knowledge there is not a way to calibrate the standard gauge and sender. However, if you have an aftermarket tank monitoring system, you might be able to use it to develop a calibrated measurement (although this would likely mean abandoning the fuel gauge in the pod). For example, I have the iSeries tank monitoring system from TankEdge which does allow connecting to a resistive sender like that in the fuel tank. Aftermarket systems often allow for a calibration of the measurements. We used this for our holding tank which is also non-rectangular, and it seems to work quite well. I have not tried it on the fuel tank, though.

Regards,

Larry Leibman
S/V Easy Going, #609

Sent from Mail for Windows