[C320-list] Problems at survey

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Aug 22 17:08:14 PDT 2022

Graeme,

Rebedding the chainplates is not overly complicated to do, even with the mast up.  You'll just do them one at a time and use the halyards to offset the loads a bit from the one you're working on. You'll need 2 people to reassemble for sure because you'll need someone to keep the screw from turning at all when you tighten the nuts from below.

I'll offer one bit of advise though. Purchase a complete new set of machine screws that are significantly longer (maybe a 1.5" or so longer) than the ones you remove. The reason is that deck will lift slightly and the lower plate will drop a bit when the tension is removed.  Long bolts will let you easily get the nuts started and retightened. Just cut them off to the right length when done.  I didn't do this when I did this job and it was a chore getting the nuts restarted.

Butyl tape is the easiest solution. You may want to hit each of the holes on deck with a chamfering bit to allow the butyl to fully seal the holes around the bolt when it gets tightened down.

There is no core where the stanchions and chainplates go through, just solid fiberglass.  There are backing washers and nuts below that you can access in the vberth. The padded side-ceiling trim in the vberth can be removed to expose the wiring channel and the nuts. See this picture for one example.

https://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&s=200811161535592

The ones closer to the bow may be trickier. But way back in 2003 (I think), I removed a portion of the fiberglass behind the vberth shelf to make it easier to access the windlass and hoses up there. Gerry Douglas told me there was no problem with removing the lower portion of this fiberglass panel. I suspect, however, that you will be able to reach the nuts for the two forwardmost stanchion legs through the access port in the anchor locker. I know people have replaced the bow pulpit this way.  But anyway, here's a pic of the cutaway behind the upper portion of the vberth shelf.

https://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&s=20081116153535423

Either way, I do not believe there would be any damage caused by leaking in either of these places unless the dripping damaged the woodwork. The long teak trim boards in the main salon often get black marks where the stainless screws go through. This usually happens when there is a hatch leak or the genoa tracks leak. Remove the boards and they will sand down very easily and look just like new. Recoat with Target Coatings EM2000 or a water based satin sealer and it'll look like it came from the factory.

-Jeff