[C320-list] Stability Index or Angle of Vanishing Stability

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Tue Dec 13 13:51:37 PST 2022

Hi Jeff:

A complicated question because these types of formulas are so general that they are only of limited usefulness.

However, there may be a way to tackle this. I’ve read repeatedly that the EU has given the Catalina 320 a CE certification of A, which is open ocean and the best you can get. I think rating the 320 as a long-distance cruiser is a bit of a stretch, but there you go.

The EU, which is renowned for creating blizzards of regulations, apparently has  a rating called a STIX to evaluate stability and seaworthiness in assigning these ratings. To get an A, you need at least a 32 and presumably a decent AVS in case you are knocked down.

A quick Internet search failed to uncover these EU regulations, but they must be out there somewhere. And, somewhere, there is a file with info on the 320 that earned it the A rating.

To inject some reality in this, the angle of vanishing stability is affected by all sorts of features – roller furling, davits, arches, solar panels, how much weight you’re carrying and where it is, whether you have the wing or full keel. It would be quite a project to get an accurate AVS.

The race sounds great. With the 320’s speed, you probably are looking at maybe five days. That should limit the risk from storms.

If I were you, I would spend some time reading the experts on storm tactics for light, beamy sailboats. Much of the traditional advice is for heavy, skinny boats. Following that advice got sailors of boats like ours in  the Fastnet and Hobart races in trouble.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.