[C320-list] Replacing Oven/Stove with Storage

Roger Nitkin rnitkin at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 13:25:13 PST 2022

Chris and Doug,Thanks for your thoughtful responses.I think the issue comes down to how the oven/stove is utilized.We do basically day sailing, with some overnights and occasional cruises of less than a week.
We therefore don't need (and have never used) the big oven and stove.
When we make coffee in the morning, or prepare a very simple mealwhile on the ball, our portable camping stove is fine. I keep the little green propane cylinder in thecockpit propane locker when not in use. It comes off the boat when we don't need it, so it never has a chance to corrode. The little folding stove is easy to take on and off the boat when we don'tneed it, and it takes up almost no room regardless.Safety wasn't our main consideration in removing the built-in oven/stove.It takes up a lot of room, and must weigh about 50 lbs.  I was amazed how muchspace we recaptured when the stove came out.
I think it all comes down to individual circumstances.  If we did extended cruising, the oven/stove would certainly be necessary.  For casual overnighters like us, it's much more useful to havethe space back.
Roger NitkinSummer Time1997  #429Westport, CT