[C320-list] Is the starter motor the culprit?

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Mon Mar 27 15:08:29 PDT 2023

Bob,

Although I haven't pulled the starter on my M30, it doesn't look like it should be that difficult. Access from the front is tight, but you could remove the alternator to get better access. You also may be able to reach around from the aft cabin.  I would completely disconnect the battery cables at the battery before you start, so you don't accidentally short out the positive cables to the engine as ground.  And I would label all of the wires with tape, and either draw a diagram or take a photo of which wire went where to avoid confusion on the reinstallation.  (This is especially important if you remove the alternator, too, and have more wires involved.)

Once the starter is out, you could take is to the shop for repair or a rebuild.  As Pat Tormey pointed out, starters usually can be rebuilt unless they are heavily corroded or something breaks in two.

But if you aren't in a position to pull the starter yourself, it probably makes more sense to replace it than to try to repair it.  A quick search shows that parts4engines.com has  a starter for the Perama M30 on sale for about $115.  Shipping to Pensacola would probably be another $35-$45.  If you need to get a contractor out there to remove it, then the cost for a second service call to install the old starter after repair might be almost as much as the cost of a new starter that could have been installed on the same service call where the old one came out.

Good luck with this project, and let us know what you ultimately find out.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA