[C320-list] Jib size

ART HARDEN artstree at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 12:06:52 PST 2024

Most of my Sailing has been using a 150 or 155. This is been on various boats from a Capri 26 to my current Catalina 320. When I had the Capri 26, I was always having an issue trying to point into the wind. I finally was able to get a 110 jib and found that it made the boat point like a dog in heat.

I ordered a new sale for Tortuga and bought a 135 for Lake Erie. I have not had a chance to really put the sail to use, but I am hoping to this season.

My thought is that if you are on a beam reach the 155 is a great sail. However, if you’re trying to point into the wind, it can be a hindrance instead of an asset. In light winds, trying to point into the wind, a 155 tends to pull the bow off. It may be the way I’m trimming the sails, but this is what I have found.

The above comments in five dollars will get you a cup of coffee from Starbucks

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62
937.885.9380 (o)