[C320-list] Exhaust question

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Wed May 29 17:26:51 PDT 2024

Sara-

Your elbow is the stock cast iron Yanmar elbow.    They don’t last long and
fail horrifically.   Why Catalina switched back to using the stock elbow is
beyond my comprehension.   I’ll have to snap a picture of the custom elbow
they used around the 1998 time frame and post to my gallery.  I don’t
believe I ever posted a picture of that inspection and rewrapping with
exhaust wrap process.  I probably should have.

Also, for those who think a leaking exhaust muffler won’t fill the engine
tray….the answer is….it depends on exactly where your muffler fails and how
the tray that the muffler is mounted to sits relative to the engine.  On
Hull #514, there is just enough room for water to squeak by on the port
side of the muffler and then along the front of the muffler, across a
narrow bridge beneath the coolant overflow  and flood the compartment of
the engine AND also leak into the area where the tube carries water through
to the bilge.

FWIW

Troy